Here is an unusual snack made out of some discarded vegetable peels. They contain a lot of fibre and nutrients. So prepare these delicious pakoras with a combination of peels. Relish them as an evening tea-time snack or as an appetizer with tomato ketchup or green chutney. They also tastes yummy with hummus or mayo. So check for a step by step method with pictures to prepare it.
- 1/3 cup parwal (pointed gourd) peel, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup bottle gourd (Lauki) peel, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup ridge gourd (Turai) peel, finely chopped & boiled al dente
- 1/3 cup raw banana peel, chopped finely and boiled al dente
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger, grated
- 3 tbsp. roasted chana dal (Bengal gram), powdered / besan
- 1 tbsp. rice flour
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp. flaxseeds (opt)
- 2 tbsp. coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. kalonji (nigella seeds)
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- juice of half lime
- oil to deep fry
In a bowl, combine all the above mentioned ingredients (except oil) and knead into a dough. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan. Make round shape balls out of it and gently drop them, few at a time into the hot oil.
Fry till golden in colour on all sides on a medium flame. Drain on a kitchen towel and serve them hot with sauce or green chutney.
1. You can also add carrot peels, coriander stems, potato peels, etc to enhance the flavour.
2. For a vegetarian version, omit the egg and add 1 tbsp. cornflour instead.
In a bowl, combine all the above mentioned ingredients (except oil) and knead
into a dough.
at a time into the hot oil.