Idlis in general are a perfect healthy breakfast option. So I dished out my all time favourite in a new avatar with some idli podi sprinkled over it. (I added some Nalla Karam Podi - an Andhra Speciality). Serve these soft and fluffy treats in this appealing way and see them fast disappearing in no time. A good tasty coconut chutney and sambar are perfect as an accompaniment.
- 1 cup Idli rava (semolina), soaked for 3-4 hours & drained
- 1/2 cup split urad dal (black gram), soaked for 2 hours & drained
- few fenugreek seeds, soaked along with the dal
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- salt to taste
- Idli podi (gun powder) as required
- oil to grease te idli mould
- coconut chutney to serve
- sambar to serve
Grind the dal, fenugreek seeds, idli rava, cooked rice, buttermilk and enough water to a smooth paste. Adjust water to form a thick batter. Mix salt to taste and ferment overnight.
Pour spoonfuls in greased idli moulds and sprinkle the podi over it in any pattern you desire.
Steam in a pressure cooker or steamer for 15 minutes (5 minutes on high flame and the remaining on low flame). When cool, demould them and serve them hot with chutney and sambar.