Featured post

Thursday 4 February 2016

Amazing Podi Idli - Steamed South Indian Breakfast.


          Idlis in general are a perfect healthy breakfast option. So I dished out my all time favourite in a new avatar with some idli podi sprinkled over it. (I added some Nalla Karam Podi - an Andhra Speciality). Serve these soft and fluffy treats in this appealing way and see them fast disappearing in no time. A good tasty coconut chutney and sambar are perfect as an accompaniment.






           This dish brings some good memories of my days in Chennai, where I would pack these podi idlis in my son's school lunch box. They were also our weekend breakfast menu. The podi (gunpowder) is Nalla Karam podi, a Andhra speciality that I carry with me wherever I go.   





  • 1 cup Idli rava (semolina), soaked for 3-4 hours & drained
  • 1/2 cup split urad dal (black gram), soaked for 2 hours & drained
  • few fenugreek seeds, soaked along with the dal
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup cooked rice
  • salt to taste
  • Idli podi (gun powder) as required
  • oil to grease the idli mould
  • coconut chutney & sambar to serve





          Grind the dal, fenugreek seeds, idli rava, cooked rice, buttermilk and enough water to a smooth paste. Adjust water to form a thick batter. Mix salt to taste and ferment overnight.

          Pour spoonfuls in greased idli moulds and sprinkle the podi over it in any pattern you desire. 

           Steam in a pressure cooker or steamer for 15 minutes (5 minutes on high flame and the remaining on low flame). When cool, demould them and serve them hot with chutney and sambar.

    






          




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...